Best Tex Mex Paste Recipe (Hello fresh copycat)
If you love spicy and bold flavors, this Tex Mex Paste is an essential part of your kitchen pantry! This copycat recipe is fairly easy to make and is much cheaper than getting it from Hello Fresh.
Disclosure: This Page May Contain Affiliate Links, Which May Earn Me A Commission, With No Additional Cost To You. Each Of These Links Are Referenced With The Asterisk Symbol * Next To It, At All Places It Is Posted.
We love Hello Fresh boxes and their simple recipes but it is an expensive subscription service. So I decided to make a copycat version of their ever-popular Tex Mex paste! You will be able to replicate Hello Fresh Tex-Mex paste right in your kitchen, using pantry staples!
This versatile paste is both savory and sweet. It goes great with chicken, ground beef, and pork.
The smoky and fierce flavor of this paste can spice up and elevate any meal, from tacos to pasta. All you need is just a dollop of Tex Mex paste to create healthy and delicious Tex-Mex food at home in no time!
What is Tex Mex Paste?
The Tex-Mex paste is a flavorful and versatile condiment . It is commonly used in Tex-Mex cuisine and Southwest-inspired dishes. This paste is a concentrated blend of pureed tomatoes, spice blend, onion, garlic, and chipotle peppers.
It has a BBQ sauce-like consistency and a smoky, spicy, and earthy flavor.
Tex Mex paste was made popular by Hello Fresh as an ingredient in their subscription meal service. This simple paste is so versatile that it can be not only be used as a marinade but also as a topping for tacos, quesadillas, and burritos.
Why I Love this Recipe
- Simple, easy-to-follow recipe
- It is a versatile paste and can be used in any of your favorite recipes – from sizzling fajitas and tangy enchiladas to tacos and mouthwatering dips
- No preservatives or artificial flavors
- Can adjust the heat level as per your preference
- Once prepared, it can be stored in the refrigerator for a very long time!
- Much cheaper to make it at home – you can save money while still enjoying the same delicious flavors
- Vegan and gluten-free!
Does Hello Fresh Sell Tex Mex Paste?
Hello, Fresh does not sell Tex-Mex paste as a standalone product. However, if you subscribe to their meal delivery service or order specific meal kits, you might receive Tex-Mex paste as part of the provided ingredients for a particular recipe in their hello fresh meal packages.
It is much easier and economical to make our Hello Fresh copycat recipe at home instead!
Hello Fresh Tex Mex Paste Ingredients
A complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
Garlic: Roasted garlic is an essential ingredient for this recipe. It adds an earthy, nutty flavor. Garlic powder can be used in its place. However, I highly recommend using garlic cloves for a more flavorful paste.
Spice blend: We will need dry spices such as chili, cumin, coriander powder, oregano, and onion powder. These should be easily available in your local grocery store.
Fire-roasted tomatoes: Fire-roasted tomatoes add a smoky charred flavor, adding depth and rich flavor to tex mex. I used canned fire-roasted tomatoes* but you can roast them on your own as well.
White onion: There aren’t many dishes complete without good old onion. And when it comes to sauces or pastes, onions add a noticeable depth of flavor.
Tomato paste*: It adds flavor and also thickens the sauce. Ketchup is a decent substitute if you don’t have tomato paste.
Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce*: Chipotle peppers are ripened jalapeno peppers that have been smoked and dried. This adds heat to the tex mex and the adobo sauce adds a touch of sweetness
Garlic chili paste*: It is a blend of crushed chili peppers and garlic. It adds a punch of heat and robust garlic flavor.
Rice Vinegar*: Rice vinegar is often found in Asian dishes and added to soups and sauces. It lends the perfect amount of acidity to the recipe. White vinegar can be used in its place.
Cocoa powder*: Surprising addition enhances the depth of flavor in the recipe. It also balances the spiciness of tex mex and gives a velvety texture to the mix. It also imparts a deep color and a slightly bitter undertone.
Others: Sugar, Salt, Oil
Homemade Tex Mex Paste Recipe
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Take a whole garlic bulb and remove any loose outer layer.
Trim about 1/4 inch of the garlic bulb to expose the garlic cloves inside. Place this in an aluminium foil and drizzle olive oil on top.
Wrap the garlic bulb tightly in the foil creating a sealed pouch. This helps to trap the steam and moisture, aiding in the roasting process. This can be placed directly in the oven or placed on a baking tray and roast for 30-40 min.
Once roasted, take it out of the oven and allow it to cool down. Use a fork to extract the soft, roasted garlic cloves from their skins.
Add all the spices listed in the ingredients in a small bowl*. Then mix them thoroughly to create a six-spice blend for Tex Mex Paste.
Puree your onions and roasted garlic bulb in a food processor*. Next, add your fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and chipotle peppers to your pureed onion and garlic in the processor. Blend the mixture once again.
Move this mixture into a saucepan*. It is a good idea to use an immersion blender* to mix and achieve a smoother consistency. Once it has achieved the desired consistency, move the pot onto the stove.
Add garlic, chili paste, rice vinegar, sugar, cocoa powder, and our spice blend to it. Stir the mixture to combine all the ingredients. Simmer the paste on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
Then remove it from heat and let it cool to room temperature before using. The paste thickens as it cools.
Tex Mex Paste Variations
- Swap out the oregano and add thyme for a different flavor profile.
- Incorporate more sweetness in the recipe by adding a bit of honey* or maple syrup*. This helps balance the heat.
- If you prefer more heat in your recipe, you can choose a hotter pepper such as habanero or serrano peppers.
- Replace chili powder with smoked paprika. It adds a slight sweetness and deliciously smoky aroma to the Tex Mex. You could also add a mix of paprika and cayenne pepper.
How to Use Tex Mex Paste
Tex Mex paste, as the name implies, goes well with Mexican and Tex Mex cuisine. This versatile paste can be used in various ways. Here are a few ways to enhance your favorite dishes:
- Marinade: Combine 3 tbsp of Tex mex paste with 2 tsp of lemon juice to create a marinade. It can be used to marinate chicken, beef, pork, or even shrimp! Coat the protein generously with the paste to infuse the Tex-Mex flavors
- Sauce: It can be added to Mexican dishes such as enchiladas or burritos by combining the tex mex with salsa to create a tangy sauce.
- Dips: Mix the paste with Greek yogurt to create an easy and quick dip. It will pair well with tortilla chips and even roasted vegetables.
- Tacos: Add this paste to your taco meat after browning for a delicious and smoky flavor.
- Soups and broths: You can enhance the flavor of chili or a simple soup like tortilla soup by stirring in the Tex Mex paste.
- Salad dressing: Mix this vibrant paste with oil and vinegar to create an earthy and flavorful salad dressing.
NOTE: Tex Mex paste is a concentrated flavoring agent. A little goes a long way. Start with a small amount and adjust to taste as needed.
Storing Tex Mex Paste
This paste also freezes very well. You can increase its shelf life by freezing the paste. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
I recommend freezing 3-6 tbsp in various ziplock bags. You can thaw the individual ziplock bags, when you need the paste. Thaw the frozen paste in the refrigerator overnight and stir well before use.
Note: The flavor and quality of the paste may degrade over time, so it’s best to use it as soon as possible for optimal taste and texture.
Substitute for Hello Fresh Tex Mex Paste Recipe
If you don’t have time for the full recipe, here are my top three recommendations. There is no perfect substitute as none of them have the exact Tex Mex flavor but these are the next best options:
- Tomato Paste with Chili Powder: This is a great substitute and can be used in Tex Mex dishes. Heat the tomato paste and bring it to a simmer before adding the chili powder
- Taco seasoning mix: Another great choice is the taco seasoning mix. It usually has the same flavor profile as Tex Mex paste. It contains similar spices including chili powder, cumin, and paprika. This however won’t have the same consistency as Tex Mex.
- Pureed Chipotle: Puree an entire can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. This is another good substitute. This adobo chipotle sauce mixture will have a similar flavor profile and texture. You may need to simmer the puree on the stove to reduce the sauce for a thicker consistency.
- Achiote paste: It is made from annatto seeds and is widely used in Mexican food and Mexican cuisine. Though This paste uses many of the same spices as Tex Mex, It has a nuttier flavor and less sweetness than Tex Mex. But it has the same consistency.
Commonly Asked Questions
Tex Mex Paste is a flavorful condiment commonly used in Tex-Mex cuisine. It is a vibrant blend of ingredients like roasted garlic, fire-roasted tomatoes, chipotle peppers, and spices. This paste adds a bold and smoky flavor to dishes such as tacos, enchiladas, and quesadillas.
When stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator, homemade Tex Mex Paste can last up to 1 to 2 weeks. Ensure that the container is tightly sealed to maintain its freshness and flavor. Alternatively, you can freeze the paste in smaller portions for up to 3 months for longer-term storage.
Absolutely! One of the great advantages of making Tex Mex Paste at home is the ability to customize the spice level. You can increase or decrease the amount of chipotle peppers or chili paste used to control the heat. It’s best to start with smaller amounts and adjust according to your personal preference for a milder or spicier paste.
Yes, you can freeze Tex Mex Paste for future use. Portion the paste into small freezer-safe containers or ice cube trays. Once frozen, transfer the portions to a freezer bag for easy storage. When you’re ready to use it, simply thaw the desired amount in the refrigerator overnight or defrost it gently in the microwave.
Tex Mex Paste is incredibly versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes. It adds depth and flavor to classics like tacos, burritos, and fajitas. You can also use it as a marinade for grilled meats, a base for Tex-Mex soups or stews, or as a sauce for enchiladas and nachos. Get creative and explore Tex-Mex-inspired recipes where you can incorporate this delicious paste for a burst of flavor.
LOOKING FOR MORE COPYCAT RECIPES?
Here are some of my favorite copycat recipes:
- Louisiana Rub Wingstop Chicken Wings
- The Wingstop Cajun Fried Corn
- Texas Roadhouse Herb Crusted Chicken
Best Tex Mex Paste Recipe (Hello Fresh Copycat)
- Roast the garlic bulbs. See the notes below for instructions. . Ensure that you roast the garlic until the cloves are golden and soft to the touch. Once cooled, squeeze out the individual cloves.
- Next, make the spice blend by combining all the spices listed in the ingredients above in a small bowl*. Stir with a fork to combine and set aside.
- Puree the onion and roasted garlic bulb in a food processor.
- Next, add your fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and chipotle peppers to your pureed onion and garlic in the processor. Blend the mixture once again.
- Move this mixture into a saucepan*. Use an immersion blender to mix and achieve a smoother consistency.
- Once it has achieved the desired consistency, move the pot onto the stove.
- Add garlic, chili paste, rice vinegar, sugar, cocoa powder, and our spice blend to it. Stir the mixture to combine all the ingredients.
- Simmer the paste on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the paste from the heat and allow it to cool fully. Remember that your paste will thicken as it cools.
- Enjoy your paste with your favorite Tex-Mex recipe or refrigerate and freeze to use for later!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Take a whole garlic bulb and remove any loose outer layer.
- Trim about 1/4 inch of the garlic bulb to expose the garlic cloves inside. Place this in an aluminium foil and drizzle olive oil on top.
- Wrap the garlic bulb tightly in the foil creating a sealed pouch. This can be placed directly in the oven or placed on a baking tray.
- Roast for 30-40 min. Once roasted, take it out of the oven and allow it to cool down.
- Use a fork to extract the soft, roasted garlic cloves from their skins.
PIN The Image Below To Check Out Later!
Join Sugar Spice Community:
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links, which may earn me a commission, with no additional cost to you. Each of these links are referenced with the asterisk symbol * next to it, at all places it is posted.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?