Mosaic Jello – Gelatina de Mosaico
Mosaic jello or mosaic gelatin is a gelatin dessert that is popular in Mexico and Brazil. It is also called broken or stained glass jello. This recipe is an adult version of the Mexican mosaic jello and is perfect for parties.
Disclosure: This Page May Contain Affiliate Links, Which May Earn Me A Commission, With No Additional Cost To You. Each Of These Links Are Referenced With The Asterisk Symbol * Next To It, At All Places It Is Posted.
Traditional Mexican jello consists of colored gelatin pieces in a milk-based mixture or water – fruit juice-based mixture. It is usually served at children’s birthday parties.
However, this recipe is NOT fit for kids as we add the colorful jello into tequila! Also, check out our other boozy dessert – Chocolate Rum cake!
Read on to learn how to make this simple recipe.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. You can find important tips/tricks in the blog post.
Get New Recipes Every Week Directly in your Inbox!
What is Mosaic Jello (Gelatina de Mosaico)?
Mosaic jello is made by cutting different flavors and different colors of jello into cubes and immersing these cubes in condensed milk, fruit juice, or tequila!
Traditional mosaic jello is popular in Mexico. It is made by adding lime and strawberry gelatin cubes in a blended mixture of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and unflavored gelatin. The color combination reflects the Mexican flag.
This classic Mexican dessert is usually made in a bundt pan but I made it in a loaf pan instead.
How to make the best Mosaic Jello
Prepare flavored jello
I used fruit gelatins – strawberry, lemon, blueberry, and lime jello but you can use any flavors you like.
As per directions on the box of jello, add 1/2 cup boiling water to one of the flavored gelatin. Mix well and let this cool to room temperature. Then add 1/2 cup yogurt into the mix and stir till combined.
Make sure that the yogurt and the gelatin mix are at room temperature before doing this step. If you find lumps of yogurt floating around, you can filter the solution through the finest sieve you can find.
Set and cut the jello into colored cubes
Pour the mix into a container and refrigerate overnight. Set the jellos in separate small shallow food storage containers. Repeat the above steps for different jello colors.
After refrigerating overnight, the mix should be set. Run each container under warm water for about 10 to 20 seconds. This helps remove the gelatin easily from each container.
Cut the flavored jellos into small cubes. Add it to your mold and set it aside.
In a large bowl, add 1/2 cup of cold water and whisk in the unflavored gelatin. Let it sit for 5 minutes. To this pour in 1 cup boiling water, stirring constantly.
Then add lemon squeeze, margarita mix, tequila, and 1/2 cup cold water. Stir again till combined.
Preparing mosaic jello
Pour the unflavored gelatin mixture over the jello cubes that were set aside. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
Once it is set, run the mold under warm water for 10 to 20 seconds to help release the jello. Run a thin knife along the sides to further help the release. Invert the mold over a flat surface and the jello should release easily.
Traditional Mosaic Jello Recipe
Traditional mosaic jello is the kid-friendly version of this recipe. You can serve it at your child’s birthday party along with this oreo cake.
Follow the steps mentioned above to make the flavored jello. Cut them into cubes once they are set and add them to the mold.
Then add the milk gelatin mixture consisting of unflavored gelatin, condensed and evaporated milk on top of the cut cubes, and let it set.
Tips for making the best mosaic jello
- Read and follow the instructions on the jello packets that you are using for best results.
- Allow the flavored gelatin to rest until firm, preferably overnight in your fridge.
- You can make this jello with the flavors and colors of your preference.
- You can also make this recipe for individual servings. Add flavored jello cubes to small dishes or glasses. Fill it up evenly with unflavored gelatin. Refrigerate till it is set and then dig in!
- If you are having trouble completely dissolving the flavored JELL-O Gelatin in boiling water., place it in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Then stir it to dissolve.
- Do not unmold until the gelatin is completely firm. It is best to let it set for several hours or even overnight.
Commonly Asked Questions
How long does Jello take to set?
Jello can take several hours to set depending on the jello brand and the size of the container used. Place the jello in the refrigerator covered for a minimum of 4 hours or preferably overnight.
Do you have any tips to take it out of the mold easier?
To make sure the jello comes out of the mold easily, dip the knife in warm water and thenrun it around the edges of gelatin to loosen it before removing it from the mold. If the jello still has trouble coming out of the pan, place the mold in hot water for about a minute and try un-molding. Make sure not to let any water get into the jello.
LOOKING FOR MORE COLORFUL DESSERT RECIPES??
Easy Mosaic Jello
- ½ sachet (10g each) of 4 different flavored gelatin (strawberry, lemon, lime, blueberry)
- 3 Cup Boiling Water
- 2 Cup Yogurt at room temp
- 2 sachet (14g) Unflavored gelatin
- ½ Cup Tequila
- ½ Cup Margarita mix
- 1 Cup Cold water
- 2 Tbsp Lemon squeeze
- Add 1/2 cup boiling water to one of the flavored gelatin. Mix well. Let this cool to room temperature.
- Then addd 1/2 cup yogurt into the mix and stir till combined. Make sure the yogurt and the gelatin mix are at room temperature before doing this step
- Filter the solution through a fine sieve if you find yogurt lumps after combining with gelatin.
- Pour the mix into a container and refrigerate overnight or until it is set. Repeat the above steps for each flavor of jello.
- Once the jello is set, remove it from the container and cut it into small cubes.
- Add the cubes to a loaf mold and set it aside.
- In a bowl, add 1/2 cup of cold water and whisk in the unflavored gelatin. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Pour in 1 cup boiling water, stirring constantly.
- Add lemon squeeze, margarita mix, tequila and 1/2 cup cold water to the unflavored gelatin mix. Stir again till combined.
- Pour over the jello cubes that were set aside. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Once set, remove the jello from the mold ( check out the tips section).
- Dig in! But dont Jello and Drive!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a star rating & comment about it or any recipe idea you would love to see. Don’t forget to share with family and friends!
If you found this post useful, PIN the image below to your
“boozy Desserts” Board on Pinterest to check it out later
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links, which may earn me a commission, with no additional cost to you. Each of these links are referenced with the asterisk symbol * next to it, at all places it is posted.
About the Author
Hi! Akshita & Midhun here! Welcome to our blog where we show simple yet awesome recipes for your cravings.
Akshita being allergic to egg, we are committed to providing egg-free recipes along with some vegan friendly options. Read more about us here!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?