Moist Red Velvet Cupcake
- All purpose flour (sifted)- 1 ¼ cups
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (sifted) – 1 ½ tbsp
- Salt – 1/8 tsp (about a pinch)
- Powdered Sugar – ¾ cup
- White Vinegar – ½ tbsp
- Milk – ½ cup (or any choice of vegan milk)
- Unsalted butter (at room temperature)– 1/3rd cup ( or vegan butter)
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Red food color liquid- 1 tbsp
- Unsalted butter or vegan butter – ½ cup
- Powdered Sugar – 1 ½ cup
- Milk (Regular/Vegan) – 3-4 tbsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 1/4 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all purpose flour and cocoa powder into a medium bowl along with baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set it aside.
- On a separate medium-sized bowl, put the butter that has been sitting at room temperature. The butter should feel easy to squeeze in your hand.
- Start beating up the butter on medium speed in a separate bowl using an electric beater.
- Once the butter starts to fluff, add the sugar in small quantities and keep fluffing it with the mixer.
- If you end up spraying sugar all around (which happened quite a lot with me) add splashes of milk and mix it softly with a spatula until the sugar is slightly damp from the butter, then you can use the beater again. Keep doing this for about 4 – 5 minutes . NOTE: The amount of sugar I used is to balance out the sugar I used for the frosting. I like a thick blob of frosting but if you like a thin layer on top, then use 1/2 cup more of sugar for the cake
- Once mixed to a creamy consistency, add the remaining milk, vanilla extract and vinegar. Mix it well again with the electric beater.
- Add 1 Tbsp of red food coloring. You can use more, depending on how rich you want the color to be.
- Mix the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in small batches and alternate it with adding water.
- Mix until just combined, do not over mix. See video below for consistency.
- Evenly distribute the batter to 6-8 cupcake liners. Fill about 3/4th depth of the mold (I filled out only 1/2 so the cupcakes were a wee bit shorter than what I wanted it to be!)
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Remove and apply frosting on top
Making the Frosting
- Add the butter in a small bowl. The consistency of the butter should be the same as for the cupcake. This is very important as if it is runny, you will not be able to fluff it with air and if it is hard, it won’t mix at all.
- Beat up the butter using an electric beater for 5 minutes or until it is fluffed
- Add the sugar. To prevent sugar from spraying all around when you use the mixer on it, use a spatula to gently fold in the butter onto the sugar until the sugar is damp. After this use the mixer.
- After 1 minute, add the vanilla extract into the mix and continue with the mixer
- Add splashes of milk into the mix until you get a good consistency. The aim is to get a consistency where it would not run off the cupcake when you apply on it.
If you liked this recipe, PIN the image below to “Cupcakes” Board
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?